NEW TO IMDS?
Why do I have to use IMDS?
All this is free?
The usage of the browser based IMDS is free for the global supply chain.
HPE (former EDS) has developed and hosts the basic IMDS system. We have developed additional services that can be purchased for companies with a large amount of data to be entered or for requests that do not fall within the scope of the helpdesks (e.g. moving data from one IMDS company to another) (see IMDS Advanced Solutions).
What do I have to do?
It is also highly recommended that you get training from a qualified source. If you cannot do that, then you need to read the information available:
Minimum Reading List:
- After login, the Recommendations link in Help menu, particularly Recommendation 001 which deals with general structure and change management. Additionally, there are other recommendations that pertain to specific products.
Other useful information:
- Information Pages – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Please feel free to use the Search box in the upper right. But if you just care to browse, the postings have been grouped by:
- New to IMDS? > Reading for New Users > IMDS User Manual – this document is the User Manual for IMDS and useful for understanding how IMDS works.
- IMDS Service Centers – there are several in various parts of the world. Languages spoken: English, German, French, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. These are the native languages of the car manufacturers that are members of IMDS. Look for the information on Information Pages > Help > Contact. The agents can answer specific questions about the IMDS functions, but cannot train users or answer questions specific to your product or materials.
- OEM Specific Information – contains specific requirements that have been posted by the various automotive manufacturers
- Global Automotive Declarable Substance List (GADSL) – www.gadsl.org – the Global Automotive Stakeholders Group (GASG) has reviewed legislation in Europe, Japan, and the Americas and listed those that may appear on a vehicle. Substances expected to be consumed during manufacturing are not included in this list, nor are substances that are not relevant to the automotive industry.
The goal of IMDS was to make it accessible to everyone with minimal computer capability. Anyone with a computer browser and access to the internet can enter data to IMDS. There is no software loaded onto a user's PC. This eliminates the need to have specific PC hardware, privileges, and operating software version, patch level, etc. installed. You do need to have an e-mail system that does not block e-mail from email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or consider it junk or spam as all login information is communicated from the system itself. IMDS works best if you do not have a popup blocker enabled for IMDS sessions.